Monday, March 19, 2012

I Wish Lauren Was My Friend

There's an excellent article in the latest issue of Running Times called "The Many Faces of Lauren Fleshman."  It draws such an insightful and nuanced portrait of her that after only a couple pages I really felt like I started to understand her as a real person.  She recently moved to Eugene to prepare for the Olympic trials, and her new life in Oregon is both beaming with possibility and tainted by nagging injuries.  It shows that real life is not all good news or complete tragedy, but a web of murky in-betweens.

Lauren herself is really funny-I had been to her blog once before (asklaurenfleshman.com), and this article prompted me to look it up again.  She is exuberant and passionate, and equally frustrated when things don't go her way.  And her writing is really compelling; you can tell she has a clear voice that stems from knowing exactly who she is.  Here's a sample:

"No matter how good the cut of meat, it will rot if you leave it in the fridge long enough. It’s time to barbecue this bitch. Phoenix is the place where I am going to get back on my feet."

Her posts are infuriatingly far apart, so if you are looking for someone to follow day-to-day it won't really work for that.  But each entry is long and tells a complete, well thought out story from her own life.  It's painfully honest and infinitely sincere which makes it a joy to read.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment